Call is now Closed!
Supporting research and production in animation!
Founded in 1984, the Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS) is an organization dedicated to exploring and promoting the art of animation through production, screenings, workshops and exhibitions. As an artist-run production centre, TAIS provides affordable access to space and equipment; offering services to independent artists who make animated films within contemporary art practices.
DEADLINE DECEMBER 14TH 2021 11:59pm EST
Notifications January 15th, 2021
TAIS is seeking THREE artists to engage in self-directed work, towards the completion of a new short independent animated film or video. This residency comes with a combination of monetary funding and in-kind use of studio space, equipment and resources at TAIS Studios, located at 1411 Dufferin Street, in downtown Toronto.
The Residencies are 5 weeks long, taking place between March 2021 and August 2021. The selected artist(s) will be awarded with $1500 in-kind towards 5 weeks of studio space, equipment and resources at TAIS Studios, and $2000 in cash funding for the project.
Applicants must be TAIS members (of any level) to be eligible; non-members wishing to apply may register for membership at tais.ca/membership.
Member fees: $20/year Supporting Membership*, $50/year Studio Membership**
*Supporting Membership: Access to discounted workshops and other perks
**Studio Membership: Access to discounted workshops, studio & equipment as well as other perks
More information available http://tais.ca/becoming-a-member/
Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with TAIS equipment inventory, at tais.ca/equipment-list.
Additional items are available but not yet listed.
February – March (5 weeks within these months)
April – May (5 weeks within these months)
June – July (5 weeks within these months)
We have THREE residencies – but you must only apply once!
- Applicants must be TAIS members (of any level) to be eligible; non-members wishing to apply may register for membership on our website HERE. Member fees: $20/year Supporting Membership, $50/year Studio Membership.
- For this Residency program, it is imperative that the selected artist(s) plan to interact and experiment with TAIS equipment and resources. Proposals that are strictly research or pre-production without any actual production component are not eligible.
- Proposals must be for projects that are entirely or predominantly involving animation production. Multi or mixed media proposals are welcome, however the work must be considered as an animated project (involving the illusion of motion and/or change by means of the rapid succession of sequential images)
- The Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS), and any funding sponsors of the program, must be acknowledged in the finished work. Details: http://tais.ca/acknowledging-tais/
- TAIS will retain a copy of the final work for archiving, dissemination, and presentation.
- Artists are responsible for their own accommodations. TAIS will provide letters of support for the selected artist to apply for additional funding for travel etc.
- Projects servicing a third-party producer are not eligible; the work must remain in the artistic control of the artist.
- Proposals that are strictly research or pre-production without any actual production component are not eligible.
- Only production and experimentation that takes place at TAIS Studios is eligible for support as part of this program (access to the studios will be available 24 hours a day, 5 days a week (modified for Covid safety) throughout the residency period).
- In order to be eligible, the selected artist(s) must sign a contract with TAIS and must agree to report on their project expenses and progress.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Interested individuals are required to fill out the submission form – below by Monday, December 14 at 11:59pm EST. You will need to provide:
Application form: HERE
- An artist CV/resume (THREE (3) pages max) 10mb limit as PDF
AND (as one combined document 10mb limit as PDF)
- Project Description – ideas, processes, narratives, storyline, other descriptions. 1 page max
- Equipment list – list the equipment you wish to use 1 page max
- Timeline – this is your proposal schedule of how you will use the 5 weeks 1 page max
- Budget – outline the costs of your project. 1 page max
- Other visuals – storyboards, drawings. 2 page max
Three links to previous works
Questions? Contact email@example.com