TAIS is dedicated to the art of independent animation.
As an artist-run non-profit production centre, TAIS supports animation art making, with a focus on skills development. We provide affordable access to studios and equipment for artists, and we hold regular community-based and educational workshop programs for those just starting out. Our membership includes classical and digital hand-drawn, stop motion, 3D and VR animators, who work in narrative and/or experimental forms, installation, web-based, and animation as craft.
Annually, our public programming presents animation to audiences via screenings, exhibition, web, and through artist talks and studio visits with guest artists. We regularly partner with other groups and organizations to connect with new audiences and to inspire artists to explore animation in their artistic practice.
• Support creation and research in animation production via artistic and technical experimentation.
• Offer 5 specialized animation studios, available 24/7, complete with production equipment, at affordable rates.
• Invite local, national, and international guest animation artists to lead workshops, present talks, and disseminate their work as means to support animators at all stages of development.
• Present animation to local, provincial, national, and international audiences through partnerships and touring programs.
• Coordinate community engagement projects and ongoing outreach via skills-building workshops delivered within the Greater Toronto Area and beyond, to communities in Southeastern Ontario.
TAIS receives funding support from our membership, the Canada Council for the Arts, and the Ontario Arts Council. Annual programming is also funded by the Canada Council for the Arts, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council, as well as by private donors.