6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
MASTERCLASS in Stop Motion Sculpture and Performance
Tuesday and Thursday evenings – April 18, 20, and 25, 2017
Deadline to submit your application is March 20, 2017
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
Evenings, 6:30pm-8:30pm | TAIS Studios, 1411 Dufferin Street, Unit B
$40 All registration*
*All those interested in registering for the Masterclass must submit an application. Limited space is available. See the application form at the bottom of the Masterclass registration form, below.
TAIS Masterclasses are designed to connect Toronto’s independent media artists and animators with accomplished local and visiting artists, to learn from them and have the opportunity to share and discuss projects and receive feedback.
For this 3-day Masterclass, Toronto-based artist Terril Calder will focus on demonstrations and exercises that consider the artistry of character, lighting and set design as shown in her work in stop motion film making. Aimed at emerging to experienced animation artists familiar with stop motion, the class will take place over 3 evenings at TAIS Studios. Each participant will have the opportunity to share examples of their own work with Terril and the group, for feedback and discussion.
Class size: 6-12 participants.
The class instructor, Terril Calder, is a Métis artist, born in Fort Frances, Ontario, currently residing in Toronto. She attended The University of Manitoba’s Fine Art Program as a Drawing major with a focus on Performance Art (with Sharen Alward) & Film Studies (with George Toles). While in Winnipeg she was a member of Video Pool and it was there she was awarded training in video production. In 2000, Calder received training in 3D Computer Animation. She has lectured and taught art for many years with various organizations, including the National Ballet School of Canada, Art in the Park program, The University of Manitoba, Indigenous Roots and in the ImagineNATIVE’s Cultural Exchange Program with South Africa. She is currently experimenting with her Stop Frame Animated films which she writes, directs, crafts and animates. The films screen nationally and internationally to high acclaim – most notably an Honorable Mention at The Sundance Film Festival, a Canadian Genie Award Nomination, and inclusion on TIFF’s top ten list. In 2016 she will be awarded the Ontario Arts Council’s K.M Hunter award for her work in Media Arts. Click here for more information on Terril’s body of work.
Sign-up form is available below.
- All those interested in registering for the Masterclass must submit an application. Limited space is available. See the application form at the bottom of the Masterclass registration form, below.
- Class sizes are small to ensure that all participants have opportunities to ask questions and get personal feedback.
- For all registrants, if your application is successful for admittance to this class, you have up to 1 week after notification to submit your payment to reserve your spot. If payment is not delivered within 1 week your spot may be given away.
- Payment can be made by Paypal or EMT (send to firstname.lastname@example.org), or via Cash or Cheque (made out to Toronto Animated Image Society). Payment MUST be made within one week of registration and submitted in full IN ADVANCE of the start date.
- There is a MINIMUM ENROLMENT for all courses and Masterclasses. If the minimum is not met, the class may be cancelled. In the event of cancellation, all registrations will be refunded in full. NO REFUNDS are permitted in the event of cancellation by the registrant, including failure to attend.
- TAIS reserves the right to alter the description and hours of the class, as needed, as the curriculum is developed by the instructors. Registrants will be notified as soon as possible of any changes to the class and/or schedule.
TAIS 2016-17 Programming is presented with the support of the Toronto Arts Council, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Canada Council for the Arts