6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
HAND DRAWN ANIMATION INTENSIVE
4-week Intro to Hand Drawn Animation with Bryce Hallett
Monday evenings – March 13 to April 3, 2017
WAIT LIST ONLY. The course is fully registered, but names are being taken on a first-come first-serve basis for any additional spots or cancellations. Sign up USING THE FORM BELOW.
Deadline to register is February 27, 2017
4 week Course [one class per week]
Monday evenings, 6:30-9:30pm | TAIS Studios, 1411 Dufferin St. Unit B
$240 Non-member / $200 Supporting Member / $160 Studio Member /
*all available subsidy spots for this course are taken. WAIT LIST ONLY. Sign up HERE.
TAIS Intensive Animation Courses are designed to connect Toronto’s independent media arts and animation-interested communities with opportunities to develop new animation skills and stylistic directions for their artistic pursuits.
The 4-week long Hand Drawn Animation Intensive will cover the fundamentals of animation for those just starting out or looking for a refresher. The course will provide in-depth hands-on instruction on the 12 principles of animation, as explored using hand drawn exercises and examples:
4 week Course on the 12 Principles of Animation
- Squash and Stretch
- Straight Ahead Action and Pose to Pose
- Follow Through and Overlapping Action
- Slow In and Slow Out
- Secondary Action
- Solid drawing
Participants can expect to develop a short animated drawn sequence over the course of the 4 weeks. Materials and equipment will be provided by TAIS. The course will take place in TAIS Studios, located at 1411 Dufferin Street, Unit B. Limited parking is available onsite.
The course instructor, Bryce Hallett, is an independent animator with 17 years experience in the industry. He has worked in a variety of styles and mediums and his animation can be seen in comedies, documentaries, advertising, and corporate and educational videos both online and on television in North America and Europe. He is a graduate of Sheridan College’s Classical Animation program as well as the Canadore College graphic design program and has taught various animation workshops with TAIS, Teletoon, and independently. Recently he has taught storyboarding for Seneca College’s animation program and has won some awards for his animated commercials which makes his mom proud. Click here to view Bryce’s online portfolio.
Sign-up form is available below.
- Class sizes are small to ensure that all participants have opportunities to ask questions and get personal feedback.
- All Non-member course fees come with a one-year TAIS Supporting Membership included. This new membership can be used toward Member discounts for subsequent registrations.
- TAIS is offering a reduced pricing option – 2 subsidized registrations spots are available for each course. Subsidies are available on a first-come, first-served basis, where the request meets basic requirements. To qualify for the subsidy, please fill out the application form, available Here>>
- For all registrants, you have up to 1 week after registration to submit your payment to reserve your spot. If payment is not delivered within 1 week your spot may be given to another registrant.
- Payment can be made by Paypal or EMT (send to email@example.com), or via Cash or Cheque (made out to Toronto Animated Image Society). Payment MUST be made within one week of registration and submitted in full IN ADVANCE of the start date.
- There is a MINIMUM ENROLMENT for all courses and Masterclasses. If the minimum is not met, the class may be cancelled. In the event of cancellation, all registrations will be refunded in full. NO REFUNDS are permitted in the event of cancellation by the registrant, including failure to attend.
- TAIS reserves the right to alter the description and hours of the class, as needed, as the curriculum is developed by the instructors. Registrants will be notified as soon as possible of any changes to the class and/or schedule.
TAIS 2016-17 Programming is presented with the support of the Toronto Arts Council, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Canada Council for the Arts