TAIS is dedicated to the art of independent animation.
As an artist-run non-profit production centre, TAIS supports animation art making by independent artists, with a focus on skills development. Our membership continues to expand to include contemporary multi-disciplinary artists, media artists, and 3D and VR animators who join the classical, digital hand-drawn, and stop motion animators that have long standing relationships with TAIS. Our members work in narrative and experimental styles, installation and web-based forms, and also explore animation as craft.
Annually, our public programming presents animation to audiences via screenings, exhibition, web, and through artist talks and studio visits with guest artists. We regularly partner with other groups and organizations to connect with new audiences and to inspire artists to explore animation in their artistic practice. We provide affordable access to studios and equipment for artists making animated work, and we hold regular community-based and educational workshop programs for those just starting out or seeking to add skills in animation to their artistic practice.
• Support creation and research in animation production via artistic and technical experimentation.
• Offer 5 specialized animation studios, available 24/7, complete with production equipment, at affordable rates.
• Invite local, national, and international guest animation artists to lead workshops, present talks, and disseminate their work as means to support animators at all stages of development.
• Present animation to local, provincial, national, and international audiences through partnerships and touring programs.
• Coordinate community engagement projects and ongoing outreach via skills-building workshops delivered within the Greater Toronto Area and beyond, to communities in Southeastern Ontario.
For more information on upcoming programs, visit our Program Calendar.